I Can Hear That All the Way Over Here    |    Dear Molly    |    About Us    |    Contact    

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dear Kate,

Don't waste all your time lazing about. You're going to get bored. And then you're going to get angry at everyone around you, when really you should be angry at yourself for not being able to self-entertain. Why don't you ambark on some great summer project? I'm not saying build a boat (although that would be awesome) or discover the god particle (which could potentially destroy the world), but maybe something smaller, more local. Why not join up with Habitat for Humanity. I'll bet you'd enjoy that, you'd get to use tools. You could sing "the Hammer Song" (can i just mention how gorgeous Mary Travers is in that video) all day. Or, if that option doesn't appeal to you, search out your local library and start volunteering. Maybe you could start a summer reading program where you introduce a younger generation to the classics that we grew up with. You know, something that isn't Harry Potter. They could read the Wind in the Willows and the Chronicles of Narnia. You could show them the real Mary Poppins who feeds the twins gingerbread fingers. And the real Peter Pan, who isn't just a lost boy, but a conceited, entitled child who is afraid of being abandoned.
If I were you, this is exactly what I would do. In fact, I'd love to do this even though I'm not you. Maybe I'll take my own advice and find some time to start my own reading group.

Think it over,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment