I Can Hear That All the Way Over Here    |    Dear Molly    |    About Us    |    Contact    

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dead-ant, dead-ant...

Dear Molly,

I've just slaughtered an entire colony of teeny-tiny ants -- not the big, ugly, full-of-green-guts carpenter ants, but the miniscule little baby-looking ones -- with just a couple sprays of this organic pest control solution I found under the sink.

It was pretty heartless. Sort of like the equivalent of dropping the H-bomb on an entire population. I mean, these things were stopped instantaneously in their tracks. One minute they're marching around my sink all happy-go-lucky, munching away at whatever grain of sugar they might find along the way, and the next -- BAM -- they're dead. Life: gone.

I felt a little bad. It's one thing to wash the little buggers down the drain... but an entirely other thing to inflict instantaneous death and destruction on their teeny-tiny lives. I think.

Why am I feeling bad about killing ants?? There will always be more. The little hamlet of a town I live in is famous for its ants, apparently. In fact, I bet if I go take a look right now, I'll find some more. And I'm going to have to kill them, too.

So why does it bother me?

Thanks,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment