I Can Hear That All the Way Over Here    |    Dear Molly    |    About Us    |    Contact    

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Kate,

I must admit, this phenomenon perplexed me as well. I went to see District 9 with a friend of mine and he and I came away with two different opinions of it. I thought it was decent, but would have been a lot better had the director, Neil Blomkamp, had stuck to the documentary format, instead of switching to the traditional action/sci-fi format. My friend, however, walked out of the theater excitedly mimicking the explosions. Now don't get me wrong, I love sci-fi and explosions as much as the next dork, but explosions do not for an Oscar nomination make.
If Blomkamp had stuck to the documentary style, I think I would have been much more gung-ho about seeing it on the Oscars list. He would have succeeded in creating a sci-fi social comentary, not that these are at all rare (see PK Dick), but he would have done so using, in my opinion, a visionary format, that I have not yet seen. Instead the resulting product seems to be something that started out as a movie to inspire thought, but ended up just another crowd pleaser.
Over all, I was quite displeased with the Oscar nominations. Avatar did not belong anywhere near the best picture catagory- I'll grant you special effects, but the story was crap. I'm not surprised in the least that UP won for best animation (although my preference was the Fantastic Mr. Fox), original score, however, is another story. I really think that ought to have gone to Sherlock Holmes. I'm thrilled for the Hurt Locker, its just a shame not many people knew what that one was. Best Actress: while this should have gone to Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock is a terribly underated actress, which is partly her fault for doing movies like Premonition and the Proposal. Plus, the woman's a god-damned lady. Look at the way she carries herself. I'm not surprised she was raised in the South (thats South, not south. There's a fine line between the two, and that line makes all the difference.)
Now, let's talk about something much more important: the fashion. Again, I wasn't terribly impressed. There were a few people who knew what they were doing, but the overall impression was that the 82nd Academy Awards were a casual affari. May this was due to the overabundance of youth. Miley Cyrus, Carey Mulligan, and who the hell is this guy and why do I want to punch him in the face?? The people who looked the best were, of course, the seasoned veterans. Helen Mirren, for instance, looked amaing. As did Sandra Bullock. What was up with Demi Moore, though? It looked like she got a bunch of work done to look to Penelope Cruz with out the amazing curves. And Sarah Jessica Parker was just terrifying. How about Robert Downey Jr. bright blue bowtie? Why?

I've exhausted myself,
Molly

4 comments:

  1. Agreed, agreed, agreed. On most counts, anyway.

    I'm very happy Michael Giacchino won for Best Score for Up, though. I fell in love with the happy, lilting waltz from the get-go. But I'm a sucker for the 1-2-3, 1-2-3, in case you didn't already know it.

    The clothes: Sandra Bullock - 10. Helen Mirren - 10. I liked the color of Demi Moore's dress... but the dress itself was just too weird. And only Sarah Jessica Parker can manage to ruin Chanel like that. Awful. Just plain AWFUL.

    The speeches... I admit I was a bit tipsy toward the end, but I thought Sandra Bullock's speech was classy. Especially the part in which she saluted Meryl as her "lover." Ha.

    And, finally, the Hurt Locker. Deserved everything it got - excellent film. AND its director spells her name the right way. KATHRYN Bigelow. Yup. These things help.

    That dude you want to punch in the face? That's the werewolf from Twilight. C'mon, man! Aren't you up on your Pop Culture? But, agreed -- he didn't belong anywhere near Meryl.

    Thanks for your thorough and enjoyable take on the Oscars - I look forward to next year's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I don't have a face either of you have decided to punch yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and Molly...I went to that goddamn movie with you too, you know. And you and I both felt the same way about District 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, darling, you don't ever have to worry about such a thing.

    Also, will you please tell Molly to hurry up and respond to my latest inquiry? I have yet another, more pressing, issue.

    ReplyDelete